Saturday, May 16, 2009

05-16-09: Skype chat with Dorota Wrobleska

Sam's Post - Today I spoke to Dorota Wrobleska. Dorota, a Polish Probation Officer, will be our guide and interpreter while we are in Poland. She has visited Iowa's Sixth Judicial District on two previous occasions. I first met Officer Wrobleska two years ago when the initial Polish delegation came to Iowa. She served as the delegation interpreter then. Officer Wrobleska returned to the Sixth last October as one of the three participants in the Polish staff exchange then. The call this afternoon from my computer to her cell phone worked very well. We chatted for several minutes discussing trip itinerary items. Dorota advises that we'll spend the first night in Poznan and travel to Mielno Tuesday morning.

We will each give a presentation at conferences in Mielno and Warsaw on the areas of community based corrections that we work in. Lori Traeger will present on Domestic Violence Intervention Services. Cathy McGinnis will present on Drug Treatment Court and Sam Black will share information about the HOPE house correctional residential facility.

As the hours wind down to departure for Poland I am with my family attending college commencement for my oldest daughter in the state of Indiana. Linda and I couldn't be more proud. However, I have more than one reason to be excited. Two years ago, I had the privilege of spending a good deal of time with a number of people from Poland during the initial staff exchange. Officer Wrobleska tells me that they've all agreed to meet our delegation while we are in Poland. In this setting, my giddiness doesn't seem out of place at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment